Thursday 13 August 2015

Can you trust your resources?


My Daughter was teaching me how to play Chess. 
She is very good at it. 
I shared a picture of the board on Facebook.

She set up the board the way it was explained to her to do so. 
So I was surprised when a friend
commented that the King and Queen 
were in incorrect positions.

So as many of us do, 
we took to Google for a 
How To search.


I shared my WikiHow search results. 
The feedback was 
"wow I am quite surprised how bad this wikihow site is ... highly inaccurate. *cringe*"

So then how do we check our resources 
to ensure that the validity of the information? 

A simple google search 
does not insure 
accurate information. 

In this situation I check multiple online resources
and found apps for the game.

The Chess Website - French Defense


I also checking in to Tournaments 
and the World Chess Federation
Surely they know how to set up a board. 

How are you checking out your sources of information? 
Can you trust your resources? 


7 comments:

  1. A very good reminder. Just because it's on the Internet doesn't mean it's gospel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some sources one might think have more verification regarding post and content. I thought WikiHow would have been one of those.

      Delete
  2. I think the internet is an excellent resource tool. However, the internet, as most things are, is simply someone's opinion or what someone knows at any given time. I very much enjoy having the internet to search when I'm looking for information but 'search' is the key word. One or 2 sites isn't enough, often I browse through 3 or 4 and if I'm still not sure, I keep going. If you still want to know about the chess board, I can ask Joe or my son! lol..both are avid chess players! No Googling needed! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this blog. Great example for others about validating not just accepting what is on the net at face value

    ReplyDelete