Sunday 28 June 2015

5 steps to check fears off your list....


5 steps to check fears off your list....

1. Define the fear
2. Find someone doing what you fear
3. Ask for advice 
4. Listen to the advice 
and 
Most Important
5. Enjoy Yourself!

I faced a fear today. It's been 3 years since Laurie and I became friends. We met for lunch and coffee to network, when I worked in oil and gas.  We were both in sales. Right out of the gate Laurie told me about his love for motorcycles and offered to take me for a ride.

Can you believe it took me three years?

Now, I  wasn't avoiding going but it wasn't making a point to make it happen either.

I'd not been on the back of a motorcycle for more than 30 years. The last time I was on the motorcycle was with my Dad. My Dad passed away over 20 years ago.

Laurie lent me a helmet but the boots are mine. It was a year ago I was gifted the boots and yet I'd still not made a point of going for a ride. Days after I was given the boots, while on holidays, I was offered a ride by a family member. It just didn't happen, til today. 


I had no idea how to get on the bike, never mind how I was going to keep from falling off of it at 10km, let alone 100+ km.

Before getting on the bike I asked for advice. My words were "okay tell me what to do".

Jokingly - The answer was "get on the bike, hold on, and shut up."

And I did just that. 

I learned quickly that there is so much more to being a passenger, 
on the back of a motorcycle, 
then just hanging on.

We were on our way to Bragg Creek for lunch. 
The sensations were many. 
The bike vibrating under me, 
the sun on my skin, 
the smell in the air, 
the sight of nature all around me, 
the wind created by speed, 
and the glee of a fear challenged. 
All at the same time was Bliss. 



I think the universe had its own agenda today. 
I could hear it saying.... 
"You want to challenge this? 
Okay let's play."
So a bumblebee in a helmet 
and birds divebombing 
(or darting out of the way), 
were part of the adventure. 
Where we were going was not planned.
We had lunch at a place called Lucid Koffee Shop.
I found this rather synergistic. 
There were motorcycles in the store 
and the sandwiches 
were named appropriately. 


Turns out 
they're also 

I often have friends mention to me
"I've always wanted to come here, 
I just did not have the opportunity before. 
Thank You for being here with me." 

I love that. 

I was much more relaxed on the way home. 

I now knew how to get on a bike. 
I learned how to align my spine with the driver, 
to enjoy the turns, the bumps, the speeding up and slowing down.

I learned I have long legs. 

Soon I wasn't holding on as tight.
I'd found comfort. 
I felt connected. 

I really enjoyed the ride
 I totally rocked those boots
and the biker chic look. 

One fear checked of the list. 
Your turn.

"Thinking will not overcome fear but action will."

No comments:

Post a Comment